Sgt. 1st class Paul R. Smith

by Devon from Roxboro

Most people think a hero is superman or someone with supernatural powers. But I'm here to tell you about a hero that most people don't know. He was a war hero and was awarded the Medal of Honor. His name is Sgt. 1st class Paul R. Smith.

On April 4th, 2003 in the Iraqi Freedom War. Paul’s company was assigned to build a compound to hold Iraqi prisoners, when they were attacked by a hundred strong Iraqi Insurgents armed with AK assault rifles and RPG’s (rocket propelled grenades). So Paul, using his M-16 assault rifle, two hand grenades, and two anti personal carrier rockets before jumping on to an M-13 army personal carrier and manning the .50 cal machine gun and covered his fellow squad members as they retreated to safe grounds. Sadly he took a fatal shot to the head; he was the only U.S. soldier that died that day. But he died in honor of his country and his fellow squad members.

In my eyes this man is my hero. To die for your country so future generations can live to see a better day is one of the highest honors a person can receive.

But it comes at a price, his mother lost a son and his kids lost a father. But his honor will run in his family for many generations to come. Since the Civil War only 3,439 soldiers have been awarded the Medal of Honor.

So if you still think that you hero is superman than take a deeper look into your society because heroes are around you everyday of your life. They may not have a cool name or where a cape. For these people are just responsible citizens.