Martin Luther King Jr.

by Pierre from San Francisco

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Martin Luther King Jr. was an African-American civil rights leader. He was a very talented speaker, and was an icon for all Americans. Martin Luther King Jr. received two BA degrees and a Ph.D., which certified him to become a priest at Dexter Avenue Baptist Church in Montgomery, Alabama.

While Martin Luther King was working as a priest, Rosa Parks was arrested for not giving up a seat to a white man on a bus. This began the Bus Boycott, which Martin Luther King was elected president of. African-Americans would refuse to ride buses in Montgomery. However, Martin Luther King’s house was bombed, and he was arrested for conspiracy. On December 21, 1956, the Supreme Court ruled that bus segregation was illegal, and thus, the Bus Boycott ended.

On August 28, 1963, he inspired millions across the country by giving his “I Have A Dream” speech at the Lincoln Memorial. This speech demanded equal rights, and an end to discrimination, which he had worked for his whole life. This speech may have been the most notable speech in history.

Overall, Martin Luther King Jr. inspired, informed, and educated the people throughout America of his time, and the people of unborn generations.