Mark Wahlberg

by Monica from Laguna Beach

Mark Wahlberg (I drew it)
Mark Wahlberg (I drew it)

For my hero report I picked Mark Wahlberg. Mark is an actor and former rapper and I learned about him when I started to watch his movies and listen to his music. I knew about him before but didn’t know exactly who he was until I saw the movie “The Other Guys.” I really enjoyed this movie because it was really funny and was just a good movie. He got my attention by being funny.

Mark has had a very interesting and eventful life. When he was younger he got in a lot of trouble and he says that he has gotten all the punishments he deserved. Mark started to change his ways from when he was younger, and a priest encouraged him to be a better person. In 2001 Mark made a camp for kids that helped them be the best that they can be. It‘s called The Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation and has helped many kids and to keep them off the street. With the help from Mark’s family and friends, a lot of this was made possible.

Mark was born in Boston, Massachusetts on June 5, 1971. He was the youngest out of 9 children. He was raised Catholic. It was tough for him as a teenager because by age 13 he was addicted to cocaine. He got arrested a lot from then to age 21. He has changed his ways and says he regrets everything he did and is trying to be a better person. He attends daily mass to this day.

He got into a lot of bad things but he managed to get through it. He started rapping in the 90s when he was around 20. His rapper name was Marky Mark and he enjoyed rapping. He also enjoys acting and producing and does this currently.

Mark is important to me because he has overcome his problems and done a better job of his life. He has been so nice to many kids who have benefitted from his foundation. I think he’s a great actor, rapper, and producer. He is a fun loving guy and his family is very lucky to have him in their lives. I enjoy watching his movies and listening to his music. I look up to him for going to church everyday and think that’s a very good way for a person to live his faith. To me as a young Catholic I find that inspiring because it takes time out of his everyday schedule to make time for God. I think overall Mark is a good person even though he has done some bad stuff in his early life. I'm looking forward to his future movies and that's why Mark Wahlberg is my hero.