Martin Luther King

by Brandie from Minnesota

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."

A man who can write a quote about dying for something and saying that if he won't die for something is not worthy to live, must have something himself to fight for. He should feel strongly, be a leader, and have something very important to fight for. There is only one man I can think of who would believe in something so strongly and be enough of a leader to make a difference. Martin Luther King Jr. was not only strong man, had a reason to fight, and was a good enough leader to make a difference.

Martin Luther King Jr. was born in Atlanta, Georgia. He was born to Martin Luther King Sr. and Alberta Williams King. Martin Luther King Jr. had a older sister and a younger bother. As a kid Martin Luther King Jr. was very smart. As a teenager Martin Luther King Jr. skipped the 9 and 12 grade and did not formally graduate. In 1948 Morehead he graduated with a sociology where he then attended Crozer Theological Seminary in Chester, Pennsylvania, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Divinity degree in 1951. He then attended Boston University where he received Doctor of Philosophy. After Martin Luther King Jr. married Coretta Scott and together they had four children.

Martin Luther King Jr. believed in equality among races. He believed that no matter what color you were you should be treat the same. Martin Luther King Jr. had something big to fight for that had been going on for centuries in the world. Because of how King believed in equality among races, he stood up and did things to actually change how people in the world were treated. King did things that other people were too afraid to do for centuries and because he stood up he helped things change.

Martin Luther King did a lot of things to help change how the world was working. When Rosa Parks was arrested for not giving up her seat to a white person. This caused a huge boycott named the Montgomery Boycott. The boycott lasted 385 days. It got so bad that Martin Luther King Jr's house was bombed and he was arrested. There was a court hearing in which it was decided that there should be no more racial segregation on the Montgomery Public Buses. In 1957 there was a group called the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. This group was made so that African American Churches could show they had power and so they could organize protests that were not violent to fight for their civil rights. When King joined the SCLC he began putting together protests in certain places to help give African Americans their civil rights. One of the protests was in Birmingham, Alabama and lasted for more then two months. King and his followers were protesting for equal job rights and no more segregation among races in Birmingham. After more then two months of being harassed by cops and not having civil rights, finally nothing in Birmingham, Alabama was segregated.

Martin Luther King Jr. was a brave man who not only fought for himself but for others. He had enough courage to stand up and fight for what was right and because he did this he was hated by many people. On April 4, 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. was shot and killed on his hotel balcony. Martin Luther King Jr. had such an influence on everyone and everything that even though he died everyone remembers him and what he did for this country. Martin Luther King Jr. is a hero to every person who has been treated badly because of their race. He was the one who stood up for us all and because of him we are all free.

wikipedia - information about Martin Luther King Jr.