Kobe Bryant

by Jack from Laguna Niguel

()
()

Kobe Bean Bryant was born on august 23,1978 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  His parents named him after the famous beef of Kobe, Japan. Kobe started playing basketball when he was three years old and his favorite team was the Lakers. Kobe is now a shooting guard for the Los Angeles Lakers. I think he is the best player on the Lakers team and perhaps the best in the NBA.

Kobe Bryant is my hero because he helps other people and teaches kids that are having a tough life how to play basketball. He also tells them that it is important to be happy and to always try your hardest at life. Kobe formed a non-profit organization that is dedicated to improving the lives of youth and families in need.  "On my way to games, I noticed children and families living on the streets blocks away from where I play and it didn't sit well with me."  The foundation is trying to raise money to end homelessness in Los Angeles.

NBA players also sent aid to the tsunami relief effort in southeast Asia. Kobe donated 1,000 for every basket he scored in a basketball game and raised a total of 27,000. Kobe is also the official ambassador for the After-School All Stars. This group provides after school programs that are fun for kids and also keeps them safe and helps them achieve success in school and life.

Kobe also helped After-School All-stars auction off a Hummer. He then hand delivered the keys to the hummer to the winning bidder. 100% of the proceeds benefitted the After-School All-Stars.      

After School All-Stars - After-School All-Stars is the largest national organization solely focused on providing school-based after-school and summer programs for low-income, at-risk youth.