Private Kevin Thomas McKay

by Annalise from Barrie

“He was a special guy. He was the kind of kid who stays with you, even after all these years.”- Scott Webb
Private Kevin Thomas McKay
Private Kevin Thomas McKay

Kevin Thomas McKay was born in Richmond Hill and grew up in the Barrie area. He attended Eastview Secondary School, and his grade 10 history teacher, Scott Webb, remembers him fondly as a personable student. He would often stop to chat with McKay about sports, and Webb appreciated the unique teacher-student relationship that developed between them. McKay loved being outdoors, and spent much of his time camping or fishing. In grade 6, he did a project on local veterans who had died, and developed an interest in the military. Even at the age of 15, he was considering a career in the armed forces and Canadian military. McKay made big plans for last summer- he was going to travel to British Columbia to go camping with some military friends, then drive across Canada to Horseshoe Valley to go camping with some friends from his hometown. McKay was a vivacious, personable, kind young man who was loved by many.

Private Kevin Thomas McKay died on May 13, 2010. He was the 144th military personnel to die since 2002. He was killed by a roadside bomb while on foot patrol just southwest of Kandahar city. McKay was a member of the 1st Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, based in Edmonton, Alberta. The honor guard carried McKay's casket to a hearse at Canadian Forces Base Trenton on May 16, 2010. Eastview Secondary School flew it's flag at half-mast to honour the falled soldier and has dedicated a hallway in his name. Private McKay died two days before completing his tour.

680News - National Canadian news.
Toronto Star - National Canadian news.

Private Kevin Thomas McKay, one of the young men serving in Afghanistan, was the 144th military personnel to die since 2002. At the age of 24, he was within days of returning home when he was killed by a roadside bomb while on foot patrol just southwest of Kandahar city.