Kelly Barnhill

by Cecilia from Austin

This is a photo of Kelly in 2003
This is a photo of Kelly in 2003

My hero is not the kind of person you could find on the news everyday or on thousands of websites, but a humble hero that works in a small organization called Thoughtful House. She is my mom and a very confident hero because this organization works to help children with Autism, PDD, Asperger’s syndrome, ADD, ADHD, and NLD. Some of those diseases can’t be cured because no one has found a cure for them. That is what my hero does. My mom and hero’s name is Kelly Barnhill.

Kelly was born in South Carolina on April 19. She has three children, a nine- year-old, an eight-year-old and a baby born in January, 2008. She lives in Austin, Texas.

I admire the way my mom decides to work and help clients even while she is sick and when she was pregnant. I also admire the way she chose a job that requires thinking about ways to cure incurable diseases and is trying to educate people about these diseases, too.

Kelly Barnhill fights these diseases by doing tests and having kids take vitamins and a lot of other things to try to figure out how to prevent these diseases or stop them once you have them. Kelly Barnhill is my hero because she decided that it was time to start an organization that works toward helping children and families that are having a hard time finding help elsewhere. She is one member in a team of six that is working hard to help kids.

My mom has shown courage, patience, and kindness in the work she does. With her help, ADD, PDD, ADHD, NLD, and Asperger’s syndrome could be cured! Kelly Barnhill has taught me that even if something seems impossible, it doesn’t need to be.