James Patterson

by Carolyn from Columbus

"The man who can not miss"

James Patterson is an astounding author. Despite his rough start, he has become one of America’s best contemporary writers. Allow me to tell you more about James and his spellbinding works as well as the reasons for my adoration for him.

He was born on March 22, 1947 in Newburg, New York. Before he decided to become an author, he tried to become a professional basketball player but was denied this opportunity because he is too short and slow. When he started high school James did not like reading but by his late teens he began to read anything he could get his hands on. After being rejected twenty-three times, James’ book The Thomas Berryman Number won the Edgar award for best first novel. Patterson was twenty-seven at this time. He has been named "The man who can not miss" by Time magazine and it is not hard to see why. He is the only author SIMULTANEOUSLY hold the number one spot on the New York Times booklist for adult fiction and children chapter book. His first young adult novel, Maximum Ride, spent twelve straight weeks in the number one slot. James Patterson also holds the record for author who had the most number one slots on the New York Times Booklist: thirty-nine; nineteen of them were consecutive.

True, most of his contributions are books, but they are truly spellbinding books, almost all of them best sellers. Some of his works include Alex Cross, Woman’s Murder Club, Maximum Ride, and his most recent book, Sundays at Tiffany’s. I think his most defining characteristic is his determination. His biggest obstacle after starting his career is currently meeting the expectations to keep writing books that not only meet the excitement and quality his latest works but also to surpass them.

To me his awards mean almost nothing. I will always admire him for his 3-D characters, enthralling storylines, and mastery of the English language. He is not only my hero but also my inspiration. I want to someday write with the same expertise he possesses.

In conclusion James Patterson is a wonderful person, an amazing author, and an excellent role model. He will always be my hero for his writing skills and persistence.