Miles Gilbert Horton

by Kianna from New Brunswick, Canada

Tim Horton in his Toronto Maple Leafs Uniform

There are many different heroes but there is one main reason why I chose Tim Horton as my hero. Tim is my hero because he was very generous and wanted to not only play hockey but to help those less fortunate.

Tim Horton was born in Cochrane, Ontario on January 12, 1930. His real name is Miles Gilbert Horton. He was using the two names of his two grandfathers. Tim Horton's mother started to call him "Tim" even before he was born. Everyone had known him as Tim!

Tim Horton was scouted by the Toronto Maple Leafs. He attended St. Michael's collage in 1947 to play junior hockey and continue his education. Tim starred with St. Mike's for two seasons. He was chosen best defenseman in Ontario hockey Association in 1948-49. As a junior, Tim Horton quickly became known for being a hard body checker in the N.H.L. One of the Montreal Canadiens, John Ferguson said that, "Horton's the hardest body checker I've ever come up against.” Tim Horton played his first game in a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey. It wasn't until 1952-53 that he became a full-time member of the Toronto Maple Leafs. On February 20, 1974- in a game against Buffalo- Tim was named the games third star. At the age of 27, Tim, with the help of his teammates, the Toronto Maple Leafs, won the Stanley cup in 1967. While playing hockey, Tim tried many businesses, from restaurants to a car dealership to a burger place. In 1964, in Hamilton Ontario, he started his donut business. Now we know it as Tim Horton’s!

Tim Horton taught me to never give up. He was replaced in hockey at the beginning of his career but never gave up and later became one of the best defenseman the N.H.L. has ever seen. Tim Horton is the only person to come to my mind when I think about a great hero!