Harry Leong

by Alexis from Philadelphia

"Community is about people coming together and I believe it is building community that make us alive as human." - Harry Leong

Harry Leong is the president of the Philadelphia Suns, a volunteer, and part of the youth organization that is involved with the outreach with the community. He leads different programs to help people develop through the different stages of their lives. To help improve the community, Harry Leong trains and mentors people to help serve the community and people in the community. However, Harry Leong does not consider himself as an everyday hero because he said the he has already been given much and he now has the opportunity to return. Harry does what he does because that's the way he shows gratefulness to the people that have once helped him. "I'm rewarded by seeing others succeed in life." He sees the growth of people as an encouragement.

He was born and raised in the Chinatown of northern Philadelphia. Harry Leong's whole family was involved in community programs, so he himself was naturally involved with the outreach of the community. He officially started what he's doing in the year of 1978 when he was hired to work at a community center. Harry Leong states in a recent interview, "Often the city of Philadelphia has hindered the growth of the community. We disagreed and have protested a number of things that affected Chinatown." For example, some situations he protested about include the stadium, prison, expressway, and casinos.

Harry Leong leads various programs including a basketball association, Lion Dance, an after-school program, and a sports program. Harry Leong wants others to build self-esteem, teamwork, and leadership. He became the president of the Philadelphia Suns in 1989. The sports programs, basketball association, and the lion dance program is all part of the Philadelphia Suns. His basketball association is held on Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. The various sports program is held on Fridays. His Lion Dance practices is held on Sundays. He has his after-school program, CCC&C. It stands for Chinese Christian Church and Center.

Throughout the years, Harry Leong has realized that Philadelphia became cleaner, is filled with more educated people, and he sees more involvement in the community, which includes voting and volunteering. He works with Holy Redeemer, Asian Arts Initiative, Asian American United, and John Chin from the Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corporation. "People put up barriers because of language, culture, and prejudice. I'd like to see unity and willingness to accept each other." Harry Leong believes that people can make this community better by getting involved with the community, taking action, and supporting one another. His everyday heroes in the community include the police, firemen, armed forces, doctors, health workers, and teachers.

Harry Leong is an everyday hero that contributes a lot to the community of Chinatown. An important quality of an everyday hero is that he/she thinks about how to make this world a better place, and Harry Leong possess this important quality. This can be seen through the higher community involvement and cleaner streets. Through his various programs and volunteer work, he has inspired myself and many others to help make this community a better place.

Harry Leong - Champions of Change from the White House
Harry Leong - The Philly Suns