SPORTS HERO:
TERRANCE STANLEY FOX
by Russell from Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Terry Fox running on the Marathon of Hope (www.collectionscanada.gc.ca)
About Terry

Terry Fox was born on July 28th, 1958. Terry was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba then later moved to Coquitlam, British Columbia. Terry was diagnosed with osteosarcoma (bone cancer) in the right knee in the year 1977. His leg had to be amputated 6 inches above the knee. Terry died on June 28, 1981 at the age of 22 when the cancer reached his lungs.

Terry was deeply touched by children that were diagnosed with cancer, some of them experiencing great deals of pain. This ordeal motivated Terry to take action. This is when the heroism began. Terry started a marathon the Marathon of Hope. Terry dipped his prosthetic leg into the Atlantic Ocean on the coast of St. Johns, Newfoundland on April 12, 1980. His goal was to cross Canada and dip his prosthetic leg into the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Victoria, British Columbia. His main purpose was to raise funds and awareness. His goal was to raise $1 from every Canadian to go towards cancer research. He ran 5373km (and approximately 23.3 miles a day) before he had to end his marathon due to his cancer spreading to his lungs. 2 large lumps the size of lemons were spotted on Terrys lungs. Because of this courageous goal, Terry was placed at #2 of the top 10 Canadians.

Terry Fox is a hero. An idol. Inspirational. He is my hero because of his dedication towards the funding of cancer research. Secondly, Terry Fox is my hero because he founded the Terry Fox Foundation - one of the most successful foundations in Canada which raised 400 million dollars to date. Lastly, Terry Fox is my hero because he brought all of Canada together; supporting cancer research.

Terry Fox (homepage.oanet.com)
"Maybe thats why Ive made it as far as I have 2,521 miles. If I ran to a doctor every time I got a little cyst or abrasion Id still be in Nova Scotia. Or else Id never have started. Ive seen people in so much pain. The little bit of pain Im going through is nothing. They cant shut it off, and I cant shut down every time I feel a little sore.

Terry Fox is my hero because of the dedication he had - running 23.3 miles a day to raise awareness and funds for cancer research. This hard work and commitment, running through the rain, in pain, and through tough moments, he still kept his head up high and his legs moving. Although Terry Fox did not complete his goal, his achievement and mind-set were mind-boggling. The point that he achieved 5373km is incredible and requires a great deal of athleticism. Terry was physically and mentally strong. Terry's dedication was truly inspiring, showing everyone that any feat is possible with a good motivation and effort.

If youve given a dollar, you are part of the Marathon of Hope.

Terry Fox was in some aspects a humanitarian activist, creating the Terry Fox Foundation, raising funds for cancer research with an amazing 87% of all funds being directly forwarded to research through the National Cancer Institute of Canada. The Terry Fox foundations have raised 400 million dollars - an incredible achievement by any standards. These humanitarian organizations also spread awareness through Terry Fox Runs (mini marathons spreading awareness and funds through schools, companies and 58 countries), fundraisers and advertisements which raise further funds. Terry Fox has also inspired many other foundations to be created under his name. Terry Fox is a hero for founding these foundations, raising further awareness and funds.

Terry Fox Foundation Logo (http://www.terryfoxrun.org/english/)
Its one thing to run across Canada, but now, people are really going to know what cancer is.

Terry Fox has done something that many peacemakers dream: bringing a whole nation together for one cause. Terry Fox was supported by millions throughout Canada. People stretching from B.C. to Newfoundland and as far south as the states. This marathon united us all for one cause, which takes a true hero.

Terry Fox is a model hero. He inspires, unites and touches us all through his dedication and compassion, running impossible distances, showing true athleticism, overcoming impossible odds, creating a foundation and raising an amazing quantity of money. Uniting all Canadians for one cause. This is why Terry Fox is a hero. My hero.

Define "Hero".

Written by Russell from Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
This story has been submitted by a guest user and does not necessarily represent the views of The My Hero Project or its staff.

Wikipedia Wikipedia is a site where all information is submited by its registered members.

Terry Fox Foundation Terry Fox Foundation is the original charity founded by Terry Fox.

Terry Fox Humanitarian Award Program The TFHAP was founded and funded under the government in 1982.

Terry Fox Foundation. "Terry Fox Foundation." [Online] Available http://www.terryfoxrun.org/english/home/default.asp?s=1. Copyright 1981.

Unknown, Unknown. "Wikipedia." [Online] Available http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Fox. Copyright 2001.

TFHAP, Candian Gvt.. Terry Fox Humanitarian Award Program. Terry Fox Humanitarian Award Program, Copyright 1982. 1 Page

More Featured Sports Heroes

.