Father Eamon O'Gorman

by Elizabeth from Laguna Beach

I met Father O’Gorman just over three years ago when we moved to Laguna Beach and started attending mass at St. Catherine’s. It was his soft voice and accent that caught my attention. His carefully thought out words and presence earned my utmost respect and admiration. I had never met a priest who was so kind and approachable. His smile makes you feel welcome and you can’t help but offer a smile in return.

Father O’Gorman has been ordained a priest for over 40 years. During the decade since he has been at St. Catherine’s he has accomplished many things. What he has done for St. Catherine’s is equal to running a large company. First he led the parish as they built a new church in 2005 and then four years later he rebuilt the 50 year old parish school. Both of these large projects didn’t keep him from his many other assignments within the parish and school. Still people were needing to be baptized, receive First Holy Communion, Confirmation, Reconciliation and even marriage to name a few of his many commitments. There is nothing humdrum about Father; he also is involved outside our parish and within the community through his ministering to the women’s jail once a month, celebrating mass and the sacrament of reconciliation.

Father O’Gorman currently lives in Laguna Beach, California, right next to the place where he works. For anyone who has been to the church and the rectory you’d agree that it has one of the most radiant ocean views. On a clear day you can see Catalina Island, sail boats and flocks of birds soaring through the sky. In the back of the church there is an amazing terraced garden that you can walk through and even reflect on the Stations of the Cross.

Born in Ireland, Fr. O'Gorman was not the first in his family to devote his time to the church. He comes from a family that has served in the priesthood. Surprisingly, he also was not the first priest in his family to leave Ireland and come to California. His great Uncle Michael O’Gorman arrived in Los Angeles in 1911. Recently, Father O’Gorman was at a 30 day retreat in Wales at the St. Beuno’s Jesuit Center where he spent most of his time in hours of pray in solitude.

I wonder how many mutually feel the genuine acceptance and welcome that I do from Father O’Gorman and if they really ever thought of how much he has devoted his priesthood life to improving our church and school at St. Catherine’s. I especially love when he comes into our classrooms because then you know he cares about what’s going on in class. Besides the new structures it seems obvious that Father wants all of us to have a deeper understanding of our relationship with God in our life.