Douglas Richard Flutie

by Dayton from Billings

Doug
Doug

Doug Flutie is my hero because he started the Doug Flutie Jr. Foundation for children with autism, and he was one of the NFL’s greatest quarterbacks. To help raise money for the foundation, he created the cereal called “Flutie Flakes.” His cereal has raised over 1.5 million dollars since 1998. Doug is also in a band called “The Flutie Gang,” and he gives all the money from his album to the foundation.

Flutie Flakes (Google)
Flutie Flakes (Google)

Doug Flutie was born on October 23, 1962 in Baltimore, Maryland. After he graduated from high school, he went to Boston College where he was the backup quarterback. Doug’s coach liked him very much so he gave Doug a try only because his team was down 38 to 0 in the fourth quarter. He didn’t get a miracle comeback, but he did throw one touchdown and threw for over 135 yards. When Doug was a senior he won the Heisman Trophy as the player of the year.

Doug’s football career started with the New Jersey Generals in the USFL. He played one season there before signing with the Chicago Bears. He played two seasons for the Bears. After that he went to the New England Patriots for three seasons, but the next year he was not invited back to training camp. He then went to the BC Lions of the CFL. He played two seasons there and then he played for the Calgary Stampeders.

Doug's family
Doug's family

Doug has personally inspired me because he made a foundation for autism and has devoted all his time to it. My cousin has autism and I know how Doug must have felt when he first found out his son was diagnosed with it. It has affected my family very much. If I ever get the chance to meet Doug Flutie, I will.

Doug’s foundation has raised a lot of money and has changed many people's lives. If only there were more people that have a heart and were more like him, then maybe the world would be better and have more peace.

Doug Flutie Foundation - For more about Doug's work off the field
Heisman Trophy - For more about this historical tradition
NNDB.com - For more about Doug Flutie