Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012
Associated Press

PA. MUSEUM AUTOMATON HAS LINK
TO SCORSESE'S 'HUGO'
by JOANN LOVIGLIO
Associated Press

In this Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2012 photo, an approximately 210-year-old automaton is shown at The Franklin Institute science museum in Philadelphia. The mechanized doll, animated by a complex system of spring-driven motors and brass cams, can write three poems and draw four pictures. Martin Scorsese's movie "Hugo," nominated for 11 Academy Awards including best picture, has started most recent wave of interest in the automaton. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - An Academy Award-nominated movie is casting a bright spotlight on an unusual machine at The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia.

The science museum's 200-year-old automaton is a mechanical doll animated by a complex system of motors and cams. It can write three poems and draw four pictures.

Martin Scorsese's movie "Hugo" is nominated for 11 Academy Awards including best picture. The story has a similar machine playing a key role.

In this Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2012 photo, the inner workings of an approximately 210-year-old automaton are shown at The Franklin Institute science museum in Philadelphia. The mechanized doll, animated by a complex system of spring-driven motors and brass cams, can write three poems and draw four pictures. Martin Scorsese's movie "Hugo," nominated for 11 Academy Awards including best picture, has started most recent wave of interest in the automaton. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

The film itself is based on Brian Selznick's award-winning "The Invention of Hugo Cabret," an illustrated novel about a Parisian boy and a broken automaton with a secret buried inside its mechanical memory.

The author visited the Philadelphia automaton while researching his book.

In this Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2012 photo, a drawing made by an approximately 210-year-old automaton is shown at The Franklin Institute science museum in Philadelphia. The mechanized doll, animated by a complex system of spring-driven motors and brass cams, can write three poems and draw four pictures. Martin Scorsese's movie "Hugo," nominated for 11 Academy Awards including best picture, has started most recent wave of interest in the automaton. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

A nun, football coach and Marine going to Oscars
DERRIK J. LANG
AP Entertainment Writer
2/23/12

LOS ANGELES (AP) - At least one person on the Oscars red carpet won't have to worry about what to wear: Mother Dolores Hart.

The 73-year-old nun, who left Hollywood in 1963 to join a monastery after starring in films with the likes of Elvis Presley and George Hamilton, is among the nominated documentary film subjects slated to attend Sunday's 84th annual Academy Awards. Hart, who will be sporting her nun's habit, is chronicled in the short film "God Is the Bigger Elvis."

Rebecca Cammisa and Julie Anderson, the short's filmmakers, said at a panel discussion at the motion picture academy's Beverly Hills headquarters Wednesday that Mother Dolores, who is a voting member of the academy and attended the ceremony three times before she became a nun, will walk the red carpet outside the Hollywood and Highland Center on Sunday.

Other nominated documentary film subjects expected to attend the Oscars include Bill Courtney, the white coach of an all-black, inner-city high-school football team featured in "Undefeated," and Sgt. Nathan Harris, a Marine injured in Afghanistan whose emotional struggle to transition back to life in North Carolina is depicted in "Hell and Back Again."

An Oscar statuette is seen the red carpet before the 84th Academy Awards in Los Angeles, Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2012. The Academy Awards will be held Sunday, Feb. 26, 2012. (AP Photo/Matt Sayles)

"I would encourage you, if any of you win, to bring them to the stage," filmmaker and academy documentary branch officer Michael Moore, who moderated the panel discussion with the nominees, told the filmmakers. "I know you've been told not to, but as the governor of your branch, I will be there, and I'll block any security that tries to prevent it."

It wouldn't be the first time the "Fahrenheit 9/11" filmmaker bucked academy rules. When he won the best documentary feature trophy in 2002 for "Bowling for Columbine," Moore brought the other documentary films nominees on stage with him and was infamously met with boos and cheers when he used his acceptance speech to denounce President George Bush.

Among this year's features, "Hell and Back Again" by Danfung Dennis and Mike Lerner and "Undefeated" by T.J. Martin and Dan Lindsay will face environmental epic "If a Tree Falls" by Marshall Curry and Sam Cullman; West Memphis Three installment "Paradise Lost 3" by Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky; and 3-D choreography chronicle "Pina" by Wim Wenders.

Workers assemble signage for a truss that will hang over the red carpet at Sunday's 84th Academy Awards in the Hollywood section of Los Angeles, Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2012. (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello)

The short film "God Is the Bigger Elvis" is up against the civil-rights profile "The Barber of Birmingham" by Robin Fryday and Gail Dolgin; Iraq War account "Incident in New Baghdad" by James Spione; acid attack saga "Saving Face" by Daniel Junge and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy; and disaster portrait "The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom" by Lucy Walker.

Several of the nominated filmmakers lamented during Wednesday's panel that documentaries are the lesser seen and lesser distributed films among those nominated for Oscars. Wenders, who presents the work of choreographer Pina Bausch in 3-D in "Pina," said the technological evolution is the "secret weapon" to making documentaries feel more cinematic.

"What we as documentary filmmakers try to do is take the audience into somebody's world," said Wenders. "When you see a person in front of you shot in 3-D, it's a different presence. It's a whole different thing. You can tell your stories in a way that immerse the audience like never before. I'm convinced this is the future of the documentary language."

Written by JOANN LOVIGLIO
Associated Press
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten , or redistributed.

Photos courtesy of AP Photo
Images created by Matt Rourke, Matt Sayles, Chris Pizzello

The Franklin Institue The mission of The Franklin Institute is to inspire a passion for learning about science and technology

Wikipedia What is an Academy Award?

Academy Award nominees on MY HERO Read about Matt Damon and how he is a hero

Don Cheadle and Darfur Now Read about an Academy Award nominee and his heroic deeds

Oscars.org The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

Follow AP Entertainment Writer Derrik J. Lang on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/derrikjlang/.

More Featured AP Story Heroes

.