Ruby Bridges

by Arian from Cincinnati

My Hero is Ruby Bridges. Ruby Bridges to me is a "Hero To Others Near And Far." In the early 1950's, when Ruby was eight she was the first African American child to ever go to an all white school. Ruby got the opportunity to attend this school by being one of four black children that took a test, and had the highest scores. When the other children’s parents found that Ruby was going to be attending Franz Elementary in New Orleans, Louisiana, they forbid their children from going to school

Ruby in an interview (google)
Ruby in an interview (google)

My hero has opened the door for African Americans to be able to attend school (with children of colors and faith.) If it were not for her 44 years ago then most of the African Americans today would not be where they are. While she was attending school she had her own personal teacher. At lunch she often ate lunch all alone in the classroom. On an everyday basis little Ruby was escorted by a number of U.S Marshals into the school. She had to listen to the parents of the other children chant "Two Four Six Eight We Don’t Want To Segregate."

Ruby smiling (google)
Ruby smiling (google)

My hero's story in short is about a little girl that was African American and was chosen to attend an all white school. Ruby Bridges is my hero who did this. My hero is still alive now to tell many other children about what she did in her life and the obstacles she has been through. This hero made a difference to all African American people that wanted to attend school.

Article in paper about Ruby (google)
Article in paper about Ruby (google)

My hero relates to T.A Barron's book because Ruby Bridges is a "Hero To Others Near And Far." My hero to me fits the character of this type of hero for the simple fact that she opened up a door for many people.

In the above paragraphs I have told all about my hero. So I hope that you learned something about the hero that I chose," Ruby Bridges" and if you are interested in her than you should do more research.

Forty- Four years ago Ruby Bridges was the first African American (black) child to ever attend an all white school. Her actions upset a lot of white parents. She also caused some parents to not allow there children to go to school while Ruby was there. When Ruby Bridges was eight years old, she was the first black student to go to an all white school in New Orleans. Before black children could not go to school with white children. Many white people protested and yelled outside of Ruby’s school. Some of the things that they yelled were "Two Four Six Eight We Don't Want To Segregate." Ruby Bridges had her own personal teacher. She also ate lunch by herself everyday in the classroom.