Mia Hamm

by Claire from Roseville

(Mia Hamm)
(Mia Hamm)

Mia Hamm is an extraordinary person. She had a lot of commitment and was prepared to do anything to achieve great goals and become a better soccer player. At the time Mia Hamm first started playing on the US National Team women's soccer was almost invisible. No one took time to support or go to even one game. This made the team discouraged to play but, also made them prepared to go out and advertise women's soccer. To this day the 1999 Women's Soccer Team is still remembered for their great acts which all led up to the breakout of women's soccer.

Mia Hamm is the top goal scorer in all of women's professional soccer. At the age of fifteen Mia Hamm was known as the youngest girl to ever play for the US National Team. She played on the US National Team till she was 32. Mia Hamm also played on the Washington Freedom, a professional team, from 2001 to 2003. Mia Hamm also won a world cup in 1999, a game between the United States and China. The game went to penalty kicks and Brandi Chastain made the winning penalty, with a celebration that would make a difference in soccer forever. Mia Hamm was born in Selma, Alabama on March 17, 1972. Her hometown was in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Mia Hamm attended the University of North Carolina.

Mia Hamm still lives to this day and she is happily married to a famous baseball player named Nomar Garciaparra. Mia Hamm also has twin daughters. Mia Hamm has made a huge difference by going out of her way in making women's soccer finally noticeable. Many girls who play soccer look up to the 1999 US National Women's team, and are thankful that they made their dream finally achievable.  

Mia Hamm has impacted my life greatly, she inspires me to go to every game and practice and learn to truly enjoy the game.  Without great soccer players like her the game simply wouldn't be the same.  Mia Hamm spent every second of her life preparing to play professional soccer. Little did she know she would become one of the best female soccer players ever known. She also didn't know she was changing the entire game. Mia Hamm made the game of women's soccer finally known. This made it possible for me to go out and play and feel like I was making my very own difference.  Had she decided that making a difference in soccer was not her first option, I may not have been writing this report on her today.    

Mia Hamm is one of the strongest people I know, to go out and impact the whole entire world takes a lot of courage, courage that she obviously had. She is the player that every girl looks up to and aspires to be like. I hope that one I will be able to play like Mia Hamm and I also hope I will be able to make an impact on the whole United States just as she did. She definitely brought the idea of woman's soccer to the world and this is so heroic. She was prepared to do everything in her power to make woman's soccer known. Thanks to Mia Hamm I am playing soccer now and I can actually be noticed by everyone around me.