Franklin Delano Roosevelt

by Vaishnavi from Suwanne

Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."  Franklin Delano Roosevelt said this quote during his first inauguration speech.  He is considered a hero to many because he helped the United States during The Great Depression and World War 2.

Roosevelt had a prestigious upbringing unlike his other competitors. Until the age of 14 he was educated by governesses and tutors. He then went to Groton School for Boys. There he learned from the headmaster Endicott Peabody to help the less fortunate by using public service. Furthermore, this would later help him throughout his political career when he issued The New Deal.

Franklin D. Roosevelt is considered a hero to many because he was dedicated and he had fortitude. The Great Depression and World War 2 were two major events during his presidency that allowed Roosevelt to become heroic. According to the book Franklin Roosevelt, when he was 39 Roosevelt was diagnosed with Polio, which is a severe disease. Despite this tragedy, he went on to become President and help the United States. (Doak 17). This piece of text demonstrates, that Roosevelt had fortitude because even though he had Polio, that didn't stop him from helping the United States when it was in need. Furthermore, he can also be described as dedicated. According to the text , Franklin Roosevelt had many relief and reform programs or more commonly known as The New Deal. The New Deal promised to help citizens get a job and change the way businesses and industries were operated during The Great Depression.  (biography.com editors) This evidence states, Roosevelt was dedicated to helping the United States during The Great Depression because he created many reform and relief programs which formed The New Deal. Based upon these facts, since Franklin Roosevelt had fortitude and dedication he is considered a hero to many.

Franklin Roosevelt is at the Yalta conference (upload.wikimedia.org ())

Franklin Roosevelt passed the Social Security Act in 1935. He also passed the New Deal and the Second New Deal. The New Deal was an act that had many relief and reform programs such as the FDIC, CWA, NRA, and others. These programs and many more are still known today. During World War 2 he promoted the formation of The United Nations, and he went to the Yalta Conference to meet up with Joseph Stalin and Winston Churchill.

In conclusion, Franklin Roosevelt helped the United states during The Great Depression and World War 2. During the Great Depression he passed the Social Security Act and The New Deal, and he promoted the United Nations. All of these reasons are why Franklin Delano Roosevelt is considered a hero.

Biography.com Editors. "Franklin D. Roosevelt Biography." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television,

Web. 24 Sept. 2015. <http://www.biography.com/people/franklin-d-roosevelt-9463381>.

Doak, Robin S. Franklin D. Roosevelt. Milwaukee, WI: World Almanac Library, 2002. Print.

"Franklin D. Roosevelt." The White House. The White House, n.d. Web. 24 Sept. 2015. <https://www.whitehouse.gov/1600/presidents/franklindroosevelt>.

History.com Staff. "Franklin D. Roosevelt." History.com. A&E Television Networks, 2009. Web. 24 Sept. 2015. .