Alexander the Great

by Andrew from Westlake

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."
Alexander the Great
Alexander the Great

A hero to me is someone who can inspire, someone who brings hope. We all need something to motivate us, whether it’s that new pair of shoes we were promised for getting good grades, or being able to see what, if we continue to try, we might eventually become. We all need hope to survive in this world and it only gets harder as we get older. A hero should be someone who, just in their presence, be it in our minds or in person, will be able to help us to continue on the right path.

When I think of someone that could inspire me, I think of Alexander the Great. Even at the young age of 16 he was able to control an entire empire. When his dad was off at war, he was left in charge of the entire kingdom. A revolt uprose in his father's absence. He didn't hesitate to crush the resistance, drive them from their homes, recolonized the territory with Greeks, and found a city named Alexandropoulos. How many teenagers can say they had the strength and courage to save an entire empire?

Statue of Alexander the Great
Statue of Alexander the Great

At the age of 18 Alexander was commanding a whole army with his father. His father trusted him to control half of the army in the Battle of Chaeronea. Alexander was able to break through the lines before his father. Soon after, his father followed suit. They quickly surrounded their hopeless enemies and crushed them. After the victory they marched into the Peloponnese cities unopposed. They were, though, rejected by Sparta, they left. Afterwards however they established an alliance with all the Peloponnese cities except Sparta. Upon returning to Pella, Alexander's father fell in love with a full-blooded Macedonian. During the wedding banquet, Alexander's drunken father came at him with a sword, but collapsed midway. Alexander fled from the country with his mother.

Alexander began his reign as king at 20 after the assassination of his father. As the news of the assassination spread across the kingdom, it set many countries in revolt. After suppressing the uprise, he set on a campaign to extend his empire. Over the years of his campaign he had successfully taken control of Asia Minor, Syria, most of the coast of Levant, Egypt, Assyria, Babylonia, and Persia, leaving many defeated armies in his wake.

Alexander's final days were spent in Babylon at the age of 32. Many thought it was due to poison. Though we weren't sure if this was the cause, we are sure that he led an inspiring life. His show of courage and dedication proved that he was a worthy choice to be somebody's hero.

Ten-Horned Beast - This website tells a lot about the life of Alexander the Great.
Alexander the Great's homepage - This website gives a lot of information about Alexanders conquest to expand his empire.

Hello, my name is Andrew. I am an 8th grade student in the small Louisiana town of Westlake. I attend S.P. Arnett and am taught by the SPARK English teacher, Mrs. Meyer.